Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Week 3 of 2009

I have been swarmed with work since the beginning of school... but am happy doing some of the work especially when I see some of my students putting in hard work for their lessons. The school I am teaching in caters to the lower ability students and generally their motivational level is not very high. To enthuse them and steer them to aim higher for themselves is an art. I am constantly training myself to perfect this skill yearly.

This year, I do think that the classes are more motivated. I am not claiming credit cos I don't think I did much. The school on the whole did a lot to improve the tone of the environment and I do think that it is taking effect. As a teacher, it gives me great joy to see a recalcitrant student turning over a new leaf and putting in effort to take charge of his/her life. I am seeing more and more such students and honestly, I am very proud of them. It is not easy to put brakes on a downward spiral especially when everyone around you is not doing so. I am proud of these students who are able to put brakes on their self-destructive habits and break free from the habits. I often wonder what will be my response if I were in their shoes.... I am proud of them because I think they are better than me when I was in my younger days. They put brakes on themselves, make a big U-turn and push themselves on against all flow to better themselves.

Man I am proud of these students. But I do hope that their change will last. It is not easy to build lasting change but I do hope this bud of change I am seeing is one of permanence. I will do all I can to water, nurture and grow these budding talents into maturing pillars of the society.

I will. I can. I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mr Goh's School Calendar

Disclaimer

Please do not try any of the experiments carried out in the videos shown on this blog without any adult supervision. They can be dangerous. Always seek an adult's supervision and advice before carrying out any of the experiments.