Thursday, January 4, 2007

How much sugar is there in a can of soda?



I watched this video and was stunned by the amount of sugar that was actually in a can of soda! Man... I am swearing off Coke... for now... can't imagine me drinking so much sugar....

But this video made me realise that quantities are actually very important in daily lives... except that we do not pay much attention to them... We see numbers with units attached to them but many a times forget the actual meaning of the numbers! 39 grammes of sugar may not seem a lot... cos 39 when attached to grammes... hmm... sounds like a small number but we forget that one small teaspoon of sugar is only about 5 grammes of sugar! So 39 grammes is actually quite a big number in relation to 5 grammes. Besides we are talking about sugar which is not exactly a healthy thing to consume in large quantities.... and by large quantities it means more than the daily required amounts...

In Physics, numbers are important. The universe is governed by numbers (I know.... many of the philosophers out there will be opposing this but let me just say this as a point of view from someone studying physics) and the numbers will make no further sense if there are no units attached to them...

And this is the first important lesson in Physics... numbers need to be followed by their units because then the whole meaning of the information given by the numbers themselves will be made clear to the reader.... Hmmm.... can understand? Haha... I know I am rambling on.... but guess what? That's the title of my blog!

Till I post again...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mr Goh's School Calendar

Disclaimer

Please do not try any of the experiments carried out in the videos shown on this blog without any adult supervision. They can be dangerous. Always seek an adult's supervision and advice before carrying out any of the experiments.